Saturday, May 17, 2008

Coinjock N.C.

We made it across the albemarle sound, but it was very rough the last few miles. We left Beaufort around 6:15 am trying to get across before the winds picked up and traveled 150nm. At one point we ducked into Broad creek looking for a safe haven and found this really nice marina. River dunes which is only about 2 years old has got to be one of the nicest marinas I have seen yet. We fueled up and J.C. Cappelmann the Harbor manager gave us a tour of the main building. The wood inside of the dining area and the whole-place was incredible. It was reclaimed heart pine , chestnut and oak  wood that was used inside and was wishing I had my camera on me.  Anyway, check it out for yourselves at www.Riverdunes.com

After the wind shifted a little we poked our nose out and headed across the waters. We arrived in Coinjock and needed to take on some fuel so we stopped at Midway Marina and decided to stay the night there. We were both tired and ready for a good hot shower. This place was so laid back that I felt like I was  at home. The only restaurant next to them "Crabbies" was where we ate. I was too tired to cook that night and lLan knew it.  This place was the BEST food I have eaten on this trip. I had fried clams and I mean they were fresh, not frozen. The crab soup I wanted the recipe for, but failed to ask. Alan had the stuff flounder and he said it was real good. They have really got something going on at Crabbie's. Before dinner we met Kathie and Harold from Georgian Bay Canada. They are in the progress of  doing the "great loop" also. We enjoyed the talk and cocktail that Harold graciously served after a white knuckle day in the water. We also saw tied up behind us was "dire strait" who we had met in Beaufort formally, but had played boat tag with before Beaufort ,N.C.
After a full stomach and shower we collapsed for the night . 


No comments: